How an organisation can transform to embrace data?

I kind of have the feeling that many companies are not ready for generating intelligence out of data.

The former company I work on talks a lot about digital transformation and data but many data collects are still stored in excels. And different people create slightly different excels. This is one of the challenges in embracing data: unstructured data.

Do you have any idea about other challenges? And your suggestions on how to tackle them?

I think for many companies it is an unsurmountable challenge, and you are right even with the basics they struggle. Which means it is going to be so much harder for them to embrace using external data to help their business. But maybe as data science patforms evolve, and automated data science becomes more of the norm- businesses don’t have to really understand how the machine learning works, they just need to be able to make sense of the predictive models the platforms produce.

In my opinion, to achieve digital transformation, organisations should estabilish firm-wise data governance in order to manage data in an standard manner.

This is so true, do you have any concrete example? Have you worked on this?

My company I work for is undergoing a firm wise data governance. I am one of stakeholders. Our problem is not allowing any open source in our main environment. So I cannot use Tensorflow to access data in main environment. I am raising out the difficulty to the working team of data governance. Hope will have a solution on this.

I really don’t understand why any organisation would be against using open source, especially in 2020. If anything, an open source stack is superior these days.